[jhb_airlines] Re: Quads versus Duos

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:07:56 +0100

The next odd, in flight, thing I discovered was that if I applied the 21 lock on framerates, whilst on EGNS finals, the fps dropped. If I removed the lock they didn't rise. I saved the situation, on finals, with fps now unlocked, and re loaded. Still no increase in fps. I shut down and rebooted the PC, then loaded the saved finals situation; fps still low. Fed up with this I decided to fly to our end of the Island. Over the sea framerates always rise. When I recrossed the coast they stayed high, so I tried 08 ILS again and they stayed high!.

So, it looks as though the higher rates from unlocking only appear if you can "clear the indigestion" by moving through a low load area, first.

Once back in the North and I landed at Andreas. I'd begun to despair of Andreas. Nice scenery and I'd changed its trees from objects to Autogen but still got single figure framerates. Not so this time. I passed overhead our house, where houses and golf course couldn't have been sharper. Landing at Andreas, I haven't seen a value below 25 fps!

It looks as though the conventional wisdom about needing to have locked fps, to leave room for other areas of FSX, may not hold good when running a quad core. Pro tem that's the way I'm going. Scenery clear and flying really smooth.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Hi Denis,

Do you have the Scotflight FSX? If not how about recent Tony Meredith freeware airfields?

Gerry Winskill

Denis Ripley wrote:
Hi Gerry,

I have the exact set-up as Tom with the Q6600 and the GeForce 8800 GTX but with SP2. I have no idea what the difference in frame rates is between SP1 & SP2 but if you would like to suggest a location where we could compare, I'd like to help.

Denis