[jhb_airlines] Re: Quads versus Duos

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:30:49 +0100

There may be an intermediate step, try the core tweak in this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/15/new-tweaks-in-sp1.aspx

In the last hour I've just finished installing FSX + Acceleration pack on my
new machine and am getting a frame rate of 30+ taking off from Benbecula
which, on my install, seems particularly barren.

For me, a more challenging test of CPU performance with the Scotflight FSX
is taking off from runway 01 at North Connel.  Here, with all the scenery
sliders maxed except Water effects (High 2.x); Land detail textures on; no
ground scenery shadows, I'm getting as low as 13 but averaging 25+ in the
default Cessna with fair weather set. In DX10 preview mode, I find the new
in-cockpit shading is decidedly ropey, the shadows being very jagged on what
should be straight leading edges.  It also creates an overall speckled
appearance which isn't there in DX9 mode.

New PC is Athlon AMD2 X2 6000+, 4Gb DDR2 800 RAM, Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb, on a
M2N SLI mobo. with a Maxtor 500Gb 7200rpm 32Mb cache drive and Windows Vista
Home Premium 64.

I still don't have UK Gen-X, I was hoping it'd turn up for my birthday but
didn't so I'll have to get it myself.  That's going to have to wait though,
Tracy needs pampering first and a low income doesn't stretch far!