[jhb_airlines] Re: Pushing the learning skills up a notch.

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:51:42 +0100

I'll opt to learn Ronaldsway. Not because it's here but because I have the AIPs and workable FSX scenery.

Printing out the charts now.

Gerry Winskill

Good man.

Holding patterns and IAP's vary with every airfield. For practise purposes
it would be best for each pilot to choose a set of procedures for an
airfield of their choice and learn these and fly them constantly. That way
you get to accumulate knowledge rather than have to learn a whole new
procedure from scratch each time - which tends to stop you learning the
basics.

Many airfields have IAP's. Some may just be ILS, some just an NDB/DME.
Ronaldsway is lucky because we have VOR, NDB, ILS and SRA procedures, all
slightly unusual so a tad tricky to learn.

The first step for everyone is to pick the airfield they want to learn at and grab the IAP's from AIS. Print the charts out and study them carefully.
Once you think you know how they work then we begin the process of
descri=bing them and my guidance for flying them.

I will probably have talk through the processes with each pilot separately via email as each of you have differing absorbsion rates and may be working
on different procedures.

As a general rule I suggest you start with an ILS procedure because you
already know the final part of this from online flying. In this case the new bit is the approach to the airfield and your positioning round for the ILS
under your own navigation rather than have radar vectoring you round.

Once an ILS is mastered the next step would be to look at a VOR letdown -
slightly tougher to do and finally an NDB letdown - the trickiest of the
lot. You would also need to fly the initial procedures without wind so you understand the way they work. Once wind is added it requires a lot more work in assessing drift - frustrating at times but very rewarding when you get it
right.