[jhb_airlines] Pushing the learning skills up a notch.

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Airlines Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:36:12 +0100

One thing we rarely did in PCI was stick and aircraft in the hold or clear
an aircraft for a procedural approach. A procedural approach is one where
the radar has failed (or the airfield doesn't have radar) and the approach
is flown from the published IAP plate.

Some of you may have looked at these plates before and may be curious about
them. I am currently describing these to Mike Lucas so that he can attempt
these procedures but I'd like to know if other pilots are interested in
going up a level in flying skills.

The basic skills required are in flying holding patterns and in flying the
IAP. For holds the knowledge required is;

a) Learning the hold entry procedures to establish correctly onto the
holding axis,

b) flying a four or six minute hold to ensure the inbound track is correctly
achieved and the timing is correct,

c) learning how to adjust the hold for wind.

The IAP training would involve;

a) a knowledge of the published IAP diagrams and annotations,

b) Correct interpretation of the flight profile - courses and descent
points,

c) Knowledge of DH/MDH and MAP and Approach Minima procedures.

These are procedures that can be extremely satisfying to fly but it requires
good flying skills, a stopwatch, loads of enthusiasm and a fair bit of time.
The procedures take some time to learn and reasonable skills to complete -
not everyone has the mental agility to comprehend them.

If anyone would like to join in with Mike I will be happy to provide
assistance. I can't teach you how to fly these procedures but I can describe
them to you and watch you on IVAO to explain corrective action.

I won't create a tutorial on this subject as there are bound to be plenty
already on the Internet. What I will do is dig out some sites where the data
is lucid and has plenty of diagrams and I can then field your questions as
you go through the material.

http://fsaviation.net