[jhb_airlines] Re: Ports

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:31 +0100 (BST)

Just to report back that having set a firewall rule for ports 16,000 to 17000,
I was able to see John Reynolds take off
at Aberdeen.  Equally importantly, he was able to see me!  I had also
configured the NAT table to send the packets to my
laptop, as others elsewhere (PC gurus in a conferencing system I belong to)
have said that the firewall alone isn't
enough to route packets - you have to configure the NAT table as well to send
*unsolicited* inward packets to a specific
computer on the network.  You can't broadcast them to any PC which happens to
be switched on and running the
appropriate software.  With LAN to WAN set to send anything - once an outward
request has been made by me, any inward
packets are accepted -its the unsolicited ones - the data from other aircraft
which you need the NAT setting for.  I see
where they are coming from but I need to do another test to see who's right..<g>