[jhb_airlines] Re: Ports

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:51 +0100 (BST)

Paul - I probably confused the issue by using peer to peer FS connections via
23456 as an illustration. I understand the
diffence between the P2P connection and the Pilot Club system, and the separate
router configs required. My question
really was "NAT appears to act as a firewall, but I have separate and more
flexible firewall rules options elsewhere in
the router software, so can I ignore setting any NAT rules".

I have everything working fine in PCF except seeing other aircraft.  I get a
connection to the traffic and
the voice servers no problem, mainly because I have my router set to allow
anything out to a target and to accept
replies from that target, so it all gets set up automatically when I log on.
Seeing other aircraft is of course a
process not initited by me, so I needed to I set up the router with the PCF
port forwarding to allow packets in.  I
think I have done that successfully, but, unfortunately since then, whenever I
have a minute or two to test, there's
no-one else on, and vice versa - but that will be resolved  soon when my latest
work deadline has passed.