[jhb_airlines] Re: Please refresh these old brain cells

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:20:19 +0100

Too many years training newcomers and writing the local ATC Manuals are to
blame.

My first efforts at writing the Training Manual weren’t the best offerings but
I was new to the job and  was sort of cobbling together bits and pieces from
other sources – memos, AIP, verbal knowledge etc. The result was a porridge of
mixed data and tenses and it was scrappy. It read badly – like some of those
WW2 German pilot autobiographies that got crudely translated to English in the
1960’s..

It was my old boss who taught me the value of creating flow in my words –
changing it to a narrative rather than a list of instructions. Done carefully
it didn’t pad out paragraphs to insane size – maybe just a 10% increase – but
it made the manuals much more readable. He was also very helpful in making me
use words more carefully so that any hint of ambiguity (and therefore
confusion) was minimised. As time went on I really appreciated this advice
because in later years some badly written manuals came back to haunt the CAA –
a couple of incidents highlighted grave misinterpretations of some sections of
MATS Part 1.

Your thanks really should go to Fred, my ex boss (and long ago passed on), ex
RAF Air Sea Rescue and flying Walrus’s during the war. He didn’t talk about
this much but it wasn’t an easy job – it wasn’t just a matter of plonking in
the water and pulling an airman out of the ‘oggin. On one trip he found a B17
in the water and pulled the whole crew out. The Walrus was severely overloaded
and couldn’t get airborne –so he had to water taxi all the way back to the
mainland in a rough sea and eventually ran out of fuel in sight of the coast. A
second Walrus had to come out and rescue him!

http://woodair.net