[jhb_airlines] Re: Pilot Report JHB193

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:35 +0100 (BST)

> Makes the prospect even more attractive. Using ILS for its
> intended purpose. Brilliant if you get it right, emerging to
> see the rwy ahead. Especially if flown manually.

My flight was just that in my custom C172N.  I have removed the
little Simicons for all but the radio stack (and I am going to
change that to a switch soon) so I have no GPS, no Autopilot and
(Thank goodness) no artificial ATC.  It was marginal VMC last
night with rain at Newcastle and lots of Heavy cumulus (and the
odd Cb later on), so I elected to fly IFR and was disappointed
when I temporarily had to divert towards Barton.

In the end however, i got my ILS approach and flew a nice one, to
my surprise, as I haven't done an ILS approach for over a year.
Seeing the PAPIs appear out of the gloom was a very welcome sight
indeed!