[jhb_airlines] Re: Pilot Club and ATC

  • From: franklyn fisher <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:51:01 +0000

I sincerely hope, that I have not been going at it half-baked.
At least, that has not been my intention.
But yes, if we in the JHB group want to organise our own 'serious' style of flying, then that should be our perogative. Provided that we do not break their rules(the providers). If anyone outside the JHB organisation, feels they would like a piece of the action, they are more than welcome to join in. But for the life of me, I cannot see any reason for logging on to a network, just to fly around, that can be done just as well, without any online connection.
As for real world weather, FS provides that also.
But lets not get into a slanging match as to the pro's and con's
Personally, I am not bothered about collecting points, either as pilot or controller. I just want an online network, to fly and or control with an bunch of like minded people.

This confirms my view that Pilot-Club see the network as nothing more than
an extended multiplayer facility these days. They really don't want to have
anything to do with ATC - but are happy to let controllers operate on the
network. How we do this is entirely of our own choosing.

In the UK we are lucky in having a core of controllers to provide an ATC
service. This doesn't mean we should always organise sessions with an ATC
element. Indeed Tom's Amphibian Tour is an example here - a general fly
around the UK event that really didn't require any ATC as most of it was
outside controlled airspace. This was popular and I am sure any further
fly-ins would also attract users.

I don't see any problem in organising both types of event. The only point I
would like to make is that although the network is primarily for pilots to
have fun in you just can't play at being ATC - it either has to be properly
done or not at all. The reason is simple.

A controller takes charge of any aircraft on his frequency - which means
that every pilot has elected to surrender his control of the aircraft to
that person. If the aircraft then gets vectored around the sky without any
logic, is delayed excessively or is otherwise messed about the trust between
aircrew and ATC is broken and that pilot will think twice before opting for
an ATC service again.

If ATC is good then pilots can find the experience very rewarding and would
certainly want to try it again. That means if we continue to provide ATC in
the UK we must ensure it is GOOD ATC and nothing half baked.