[jhb_airlines] Re: Photo Scenery

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:45:11 +0000

There are now a few projects which have come up with the algorithm to remove data from Google Earth. One which was a highly popular little Flight Sim style game (up down left right over some photo scenery of popular cities) even had a section of the code he used posted on his site for a while. However it got taken down.

I think the images are all still owned by getmapping etc rather than google so it probably would just be a similar deal to the current license setups with JustFlight/Horizon.

The code I've seen used in applications so far streamed the images on the fly as with GE. So would probably be bandwidth prohibitive.

Alex

Alastair wrote:

Bones wrote:
To UK users the concept of photo scenery is old hat - anyone with VFGM has
accepted it as normal and we forget that most FS users elsewhere in the
world are still looking at synthetic scenery.

Including Scotland and Ireland <G>

Looks interesting, but as you know the Google Earth can be a bit variable.

At best it can be excellent, but otherwise can be a bit 'patchy'

You will find that the States will have good cover, with the rest of the world, away from populated areas, not so good.

I wonder what will happen with the licence arrangement, should it go into production?

Will it include better quality data than the free version of Google Earth?

Alastair