[jhb_airlines] Re: Photo Scenery

  • From: Andy Berry <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:13:53 +0000

the red blotches - underwater volcano? :D

Excellent looking shots... just wonder wether or not you have to constantly 'stream' the image files like with the original Google Earth software - if you do, I can see my bandwidth being eaten within a few day's! Got a warning last month for using 22gb more than I am permitted!

Bones wrote:
To UK users the concept of photo scenery is old hat - anyone with VFGM has
accepted it as normal and we forget that most FS users elsewhere in the
world are still looking at synthetic scenery. That is why a post on AVSIM is
creating a lot of interest at the moment - the author having managed to port
Google Earth data into FSX itself.

I have no idea how this works and he's not giving any details out either -
but you can see the potential. Google's high res coverage isn't that massive
right now but that is only a matter of time - it is the concept that is
intriguing. I'd love to know how he's managed to get Google data to stream
into FSX and how it is correctly located but I doubt we'll ever find this
out. Some screenshots at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71882461@N00/sets/72157594413142755/show for
the curious, however if you have GenX you've seen it all before - it's just
a different location.

http://fsaviation.net