[jhb_airlines] Re: Perception of Server Lag

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 05:07:04 +0100

I can't answer that properly because viewing angle is a factor of the focal
length of the human eye rather than the cockpit limitations of the aircraft.
There is a horribly complex discussion about this on AVSIM which I won't
even bother to try and explain.

The best I can do is describe it in terms of a camera lens in that FS zoom
levels are like stepping up from 35mm to a 300mm zoom. As you increase or
decrease zoom you are changing the perspective so it looks nothing like what
the human eye really sees. In photographic terms I think a 50mm lens is
about equivalent to what the eye sees and I understand that .79 zoom in FS
is roughly the same. That's assuming one screen of course but I forget for
which monitor size this applied (maybe 19"). Go to a different sized monitor
and the viewing real estate area increases but the angular view in FS
remains the same - and so the perspective has technically altered and should
be compensated for. The same would very much apply to your three monitor
setup.

At a more mundane level my thinking was that there are eight views in FS
from dead ahead round to front right, right, rear right, astern and so on.
All these views at a zoom level of 1 have zero overlap so each view should
cover a visible arc of 45 degrees (not thirty as I said before). The trouble
is that this only ensures that you have full sky coverage in FS and doesn't
have anything to do with true perspective.

In the AVSIM article the discussion rapidly split into two camps, both with
lucid arguments as to why their system was the correct one. I reset my
monitor to the setting given by my favoured group (as adjusted for my
monitor size) and I was happy with the result. However I forgot to lock it
down and several flights later had forgotten the value anyway so it went
back to 1.0.