[jhb_airlines] Re: Perception of Server Lag

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:18:33 +0100

Gerry

If you are running FS9 on Win XP using a user account with all possible privileges (essentially an Administrator account) then it runs a lot more services than you need as an ordinary user. Unfortunately the default installation of Windows sets up a single user PC with precisely such an 'administrator' account - one of the reasons that Windows is so vulnerable to viruses etc. You could ease the load on your system by setting up a separate 'Gerry - FS' user account with limited privileges.

Another suggestion is to track down the Black Viper recommendations on which services can be disabled in Windows without breaking the system. Black Viper and his original site seem to have disappeared from the ether, but his material was so highly respected that you can still find it preserved elsewhere with a quick bit of Googling. One such is http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Mike L

Gerry Winskill wrote:
I still have Enditall but it's of doubtful value. I ran it just now and it showed 15 programmes running, only 4 of which are "unlocked", so closeable.
By contrast Task Manager shows 40 running! Of these 23 are listed as SYSTEM. We've been here before, since the Task Manager problem is lack of info on which can be safely shut down. There's a website that offers advice but following that, and closing down the "uneccessary" programmes, dropped me into deep doodah, from which I emerged only by running System Restore.
Anyone able to come up with an accurate list of the progs that can be ditched with impunity would qualify for a Nobel Prize.

Gerry Winskill