[jhb_airlines] Re: Perception of Server Lag

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:06:50 +0100

After moving all but a couple of my favourite aircraft, plus AIs, the Aircraft folder is still a whopping 3.7Gb. The Storage Hangar is 4.5Gb. Self control is not one of my virtues...

Gerry Winskill

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:

Alastair,

Very simply it is an issue for everyone, as suggested earlier today the little software thingymabob that shuts down all non essential processes is good - as long as it is set up correctly.

Proper machine maintenance such as a Defrag never does any harm. Especially if done weekly.

One option that was explored as part of the project was a batch runfile that totally stripped FS down to the bare essentials before using whatever it is you wanted.

However this only really works if you have a favorite aircraft that you use for every session. A batch file is created for each individual that totally removes all FS options apart from the ones for that session or whatever.

So say you were going to fly online with pilot club in a EGNM - EGCC event in your Fokker 100 using the PFC weather.

You'd double click on the batch file prior to loading FS up and this would remove all your aircraft (bar the fokker) to a temporary folder, swap your scenery CFG for one with simply the UK data in it, Temporarily remove all the DLL's for everything Bar PFC.
That'd take about 4 - 5 mins to run and At that point you'd run the little process killing app. then you'd load FS (at lightning speed ;) ) and join the session.

That'd leave your PC's CPU with nothing but FS to concentrate on (and your internet connection etc) and your FS engine with nothing but your aircraft, the little (comparatively) UK scenery tiles and then have all its other processing power (normally weighed down with sifting through files not required) to send and receive MP data.

At the end of the session you simply click the other batch file and it moves it all back like nothing ever happened.

That is the ideal scenario and we did get it working (although for a program not MP sessions) with very little hassle. FS loaded in literally seconds, FPS increases were about 10+ on most machines and bar a few teething troubles it worked perfectly for about 4 months.

However the problem with that is that it requires a re-write of the batch file everytime you install a new add-on or remove an add-on - which would probably be hell with you lot ;)

Alex

Alastair wrote:

Doah! my head hurts <G>

Alex, practically speaking, is there anything that an individual can do to reduce server lag, or is it a 'group thing' that applies to all the server traffic, as a whole?

Alastair

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:

Frank,

In another project I've been involved in there has been much study done on the subject of FS an its "Data Pipes" (an SDK term so excuse its use) and there are many things that can affect it.

FS data, in and out of multi player sessions is hooked into the FS Engine in two different ways, first of all there is the ported data, brought in through direct IP/P2P access such as MP sessions or XML gauges etc directly into the sim.

The second is the background process information, such as that brought in via a plugin module such as Active Sky or another DLL process.

WideFS and FSUIPC are so successful as they are a mix of the two. An external module that can take data from .gau/xml or other DLLs and directly port it through to FS.

The way that FS gives priority to the data coming from these is not 100% understood but as a basic rule the it goes:

Aircraft
XML Gau
Navaids/ GPS Data
Scenery
Ported
Background

There are algorithms in existance that allow the Background data to refresh doubly as quick as the Ported thus giving superior performance to ported data but this also, to an extent, relies on porting.

As Stefan explained it is the FS engines processing of these that causes lag, the hardware processing the data is limited to the CPU/RAM and HDD. This is one area of FS that the Video card comes into very little unless the process is telling FS to "draw" data...which it isn't - it is the MP session telling FS to do that, which will get reasonably high priority anyway.

I bet that made no sense at all...perhaps a diagram would have worked better!

Alex

franklyn fisher wrote:

I wonder if the hardware can also be at fault, for instance

I have an AMD 64/3200 machine with 1gb ram.

But my video card is from a previous machine ( an AMD1600/32bit).

I do realise that the video is holding up my machine, so an upgrade to an ATI X1600ProAGP from an ATI 9600ProAGP (half the speed) should in theory, half the queing time, thus the draw to screen must be quicker. Therefore cutting my server lag?

Other hardware factors could also contribute, but speeding up the video from machine thro to the screen must be a benifit.