[jhb_airlines] Re: Perception of Server Lag

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:33:41 +0100

Alex,
Running down your priority list leaves me with a suspicion I may be suffering from self inflicted injuries!
Am I right in thinking that an excessive load on the system that may be influencing apparent server lag will also reduce the system's abillity to process display data, so increasing the likelihood of Blurries etc?
If so then presumably my habit of increasing the complexity of instrument panels, particularly with .xml gauges, is in conflict with my desire for sharper textures? If that's the case then, for VFR flying, as in real life, I should be aiming for the simplest panel I can get away with.

Gerry Winskill

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:

Frank,

In another project I've been involved in there has been much study done on the subject of FS an its "Data Pipes" (an SDK term so excuse its use) and there are many things that can affect it.

FS data, in and out of multi player sessions is hooked into the FS Engine in two different ways, first of all there is the ported data, brought in through direct IP/P2P access such as MP sessions or XML gauges etc directly into the sim.

The second is the background process information, such as that brought in via a plugin module such as Active Sky or another DLL process.

WideFS and FSUIPC are so successful as they are a mix of the two. An external module that can take data from .gau/xml or other DLLs and directly port it through to FS.

The way that FS gives priority to the data coming from these is not 100% understood but as a basic rule the it goes:

Aircraft
XML Gau
Navaids/ GPS Data
Scenery
Ported
Background

There are algorithms in existance that allow the Background data to refresh doubly as quick as the Ported thus giving superior performance to ported data but this also, to an extent, relies on porting.

As Stefan explained it is the FS engines processing of these that causes lag, the hardware processing the data is limited to the CPU/RAM and HDD. This is one area of FS that the Video card comes into very little unless the process is telling FS to "draw" data...which it isn't - it is the MP session telling FS to do that, which will get reasonably high priority anyway.

I bet that made no sense at all...perhaps a diagram would have worked better!

Alex

franklyn fisher wrote:

I wonder if the hardware can also be at fault, for instance

I have an AMD 64/3200 machine with 1gb ram.

But my video card is from a previous machine ( an AMD1600/32bit).

I do realise that the video is holding up my machine, so an upgrade to an ATI X1600ProAGP from an ATI 9600ProAGP (half the speed) should in theory, half the queing time, thus the draw to screen must be quicker. Therefore cutting my server lag?

Other hardware factors could also contribute, but speeding up the video from machine thro to the screen must be a benifit.