[jhb_airlines] Pastures New

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:43:36 +0100

Last night's lonely arrival at Rio's Carlos C Jabim airport (shades of Getz) was in poor viz. This morning I've just completed a 25 mins VFR flight. From CCJ, I flew around Rio, finishing at the beachside Santos Dumont airfield. I almost forgot to mention that I'm using Rio de Janeiro V5, downloaded from Avsim, and it's excellent. Rio comes to life. Beaches, shipping, pleasure boat wakes, hotels, figure of Christ, cable car, harbour bridge, the lot. Didn't spot bikinis but will fly lower later.
Treat youself to a holiday, having installed the scenery first. It isn't photgraphic but I really didn't notice. It's made the 11 hour drag worth while. Despite booking the session on FPI and arriving about 1630 local time, it didn't produce any ATC, though there was one active at Netherlands Antilles. Although I don't intend defecting, VATSIM and the IVAO were fairly crowded. By the time I reached the Rio zone I'd had enough of the Trappist life and it was a relief to switch off, for finals, and tune in to Default ATC and AI and hear voices and see other aircraft. Having seen the area, this morning, in sunshine, it was well worth the trip.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx