[jhb_airlines] Re: PMDG 747

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 02:46:06 +0100

A couple of screenshots of the new PMDG 747 are on my FS page.

To be honest I am rather impressed with the aircraft - and not just because
of all the nice little extra touches in the model. I won't spoil this for
everyone but will just say that when you change to VC mode have a good look
around the cockpit and click on anything that looks interesting.. <vbg>

The reason I am impressed is through a simple mistake. Having got the
aircraft in slew mode to take the screenshots I accidentally hit the Y key
and away she went. At the time full flap and gear were down but the aircraft
didn't behave badly - in fact it set up a shallow climb at 210kts. Cleaning
everything up I dialled in 250kts and FL100 and then went for an exploration
of the panels. These will take a lot of getting used to.

Anyway - I turned her about and was going to set the aircraft up for an ILS
at Honolulu - but I couldn't find any Nav boxes anywhere. Having scanned all
the panels I then looked at the FMS and tried to bang in the ILS frequency -
but it kept rejecting it. The airport was getting rapidly closer so I slowed
to 200kts and got gear and flaps down again at 3000ft and used the map in
FSNav to position roughly on final. Back at 180kts with full flap down I
still couldn't tune anything in so I waited until 10DME and set her up for a
900fpm descent.

At 1000ft I killed the autopilot and autothrottle and carried on with a
manual landing. A slight problem was that none of the GF units worked
(including the throttle) so it was all keyboard work. Despite this the
aircraft was a dream to fly and I was able to make a very good landing on
08. There aren't many FS big jets that are so docile - she was a delight to
fly.

Very, very impressed. Now to read the manuals..