[jhb_airlines] Re: PMDG 737NG

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:04:04 +0100

That is true and it is a shame the two companies don't seem to be on the
correct wavelength about this.

GoFlight say they've built their modules to work with all FS commands
and PMDG say they have only been able to create the true complexities of
the 737 by modifying some of the FS calls. The result is that the GF
units don't work as intended with the 737TNG (I don't have the 800
upgrade). Because of this I haven't really used the 737TNG to any real
extent after going through the tutorials. However I do agree with Kevin
in saying that it is a pretty visual aircraft with the real work being
in fully reproducing the cockpit systems. It is getting very close to
the 747 PS1 program I used several years ago.

After browsing through the forums at GoFlight, Avsim and PMDG I found a
couple of threads on a fix for the incompatibility. I have tried this
and it only partially works for me. For example if I tune the GF
Autopilot Heading selector it will alter the heading display on the
aircraft - but it needs two clicks for every degree change. The result
is that the heading on the GF unit becomes totally different to the one
on the panel. The same goes for some of the other selectors.

Despite this it is worth considering the 737TNG if you really like
complex aircraft system releases. Anyone who has enjoyed other "system"
aircraft like the Milton Shupe Dash 7, Oleksiy Frelov Dash 8 Q300 or FSD
Panther Navajo would be truly at home with the 737TNG.

Going back into wounded lurk mode...