[jhb_airlines] Re: PCI Wednesday 18th

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:40:19 +0100

Mutter, mutter!
I'll have to try them, off line.
At least the Margaret River shiraz was OK, from what I can remember...

Gerry Winskill

Mike Lucas wrote:

I found last night's session thoroughly enjoyable too, only marred a bit by the system lag - relieved to know it wasn't just me suffering it. At St Kitts I followed Paul in, with MikeB and Frank coming in behind me. So I was amazed to find G-CART on the apron when I landed!! I reset PCI to find G-CART still on finals, but saying that he was clear of the active!! I was getting one story from R/T, another from what I saw on FS, and something different again on my FSCommander screen. I tried rebooting PCI twice more, and things improved a bit on the sector from Nevis to St Barts where there were at least four of us converging on TFFJ in quick succession. However the lag came back with a bang after I landed at TFFJ - G-CART appeared on screen some considerable time after he "landed" (don't think MikeB was pleased with that one <g>), and G-PAUL never appeared.

I was chuffed to bits with my landings at Saba and St Barts - must have been watching those YouTube video clips that did it ;-)

I'm off on hols tomorrow for a couple of weeks so I regret that I won't be joining you for a while. However I'll be thinking of you as I take in some real short field experience while visiting some of Orkney's outer islands.

Mike L

bones wrote:

 Well - I thought it was a super night.
There were lots of airfields to choose from and I hope that made a nice change for everyone. Some had tough approaches and it was good to see pilots making the correct decision to go around if they felt unhappy - something a few real life pilots could learn from. My hat is raised to everyone who had a stab at Saba and also at St Bart's - and thanks also to John Hill for manning both St Kitts and St Barts during the evening. A couple of radar screenshots can be found at http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/jhb/OnLine/PCI/UK_Event.htm The airfields were quite close together - some no more than 10nm - so it meant that the boring <g> en route stages were much shorter and pilot workload remained quite high. Add to that the pretty volcanic islands and it made for a welcome change to the UK sessions we have endured recently with our lousy weather. Generally PCI behaved well although I lost my voice module at one point and aircraft lag appeared to be very bad. It always seems worse when a lot of aircraft are concentrated in a small area so I wonder if the huge amount of data sent is to large for the server to handle. I now know (from my SBS unit) that if an aircraft sends a message every second it can result in thousands of messages per hour - 100 aircraft on my SBS actually send 360,000 messages per hour. That's about 1Mb of data every three minutes and I'm sure the FS data string is much longer. Lag is the only real headache with PCI but I doubt we will ever see a solution now. More next week? bones