[jhb_airlines] Re: PCI Wednesday 18th

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:36:40 +0100

 Well - I thought it was a super night.

There were lots of airfields to choose from and I hope that made a nice
change for everyone. Some had tough approaches and it was good to see pilots
making the correct decision to go around if they felt unhappy - something a
few real life pilots could learn from. My hat is raised to everyone who had
a stab at Saba and also at St Bart's - and thanks also to John Hill for
manning both St Kitts and St Barts during the evening.

A couple of radar screenshots can be found at
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/jhb/OnLine/PCI/UK_Event.htm

The airfields were quite close together - some no more than 10nm - so it
meant that the boring <g> en route stages were much shorter and pilot
workload remained quite high. Add to that the pretty volcanic islands and it
made for a welcome change to the UK sessions we have endured recently with
our lousy weather.

Generally PCI behaved well although I lost my voice module at one point and
aircraft lag appeared to be very bad. It always seems worse when a lot of
aircraft are concentrated in a small area so I wonder if the huge amount of
data sent is to large for the server to handle. I now know (from my SBS
unit) that if an aircraft sends a message every second it can result in
thousands of messages per hour - 100 aircraft on my SBS actually send
360,000 messages per hour. That's about 1Mb of data every three minutes and
I'm sure the FS data string is much longer. Lag is the only real headache
with PCI but I doubt we will ever see a solution now.

More next week?