[jhb_airlines] Re: PCF aircraft

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:32:32 +0100

I'm all for the sensible list. I could live without a busjet but it would be nice to have access to a turboprop and the one I fly is the Q400. That is far from meaning I'm making a case for its inclusion. If the list contained any other variant then I'd be satisfied that any Dash 8 family user would appear in one of that familly, rather than in a defaulted C172. I must put a request re absence of follow me vans, onto the forum.

Using the old ATOC templates I have now knocked up JHB aircraft for the
C172, BE58, F70 and F100. These are all now "converted" to PCF titles and
air/cfg files.

I'm still not sure about the PCFAircraftList.ini file. A typical example is
:

[PCF A320 JHB]
Type=A320
TypeEx=321200
Description=JHB Airlines
Description2=Model by ARNZ AIS-AI\n\nTextures by John Woodside
Height=8.6
Pitch=0

I think the TypeEx= line is a rough guide for the aircraft type but I only
have ideas about the first two numbers. The first is engine type with 3 for
jet and 2 for prop. Second number is the number of engines. So the A320 is
321200, the A340 is 341200 and the ATR72 is 221200. I've no idea on the next
two and why the F100 is 321300.

Height and pitch are probably MP equivalents to static height and pitch in
the aircraft.cfg file. I don't think these are fine tuned by PCF and that
will explain the slight floating or sinking effect when viewing other
aircraft.

Timo has converted all my earlier Airbus files to PCF format and I have
converted all the rest I can find. That gives me a fleet of the following:

A318
A319
A320
A321
ATR72 500
B737 200
B747 400
B777 300
BEECH 58
C172
FOKKER 70
FOKKER 100

It would be nice to expand this list but it is a lot of work and best
restricted to a handful of aircraft that everyone regularly flies. Paul
rightly said that we should have at least one aircraft in each group but
twin jets are rather oversaturated already. Splitting the above into groups
gives:

Single piston: C172
Twin Piston: BE58
Multi piston: none
Single jet: none
Twin jet: Far too many
Multi jet: B747

Now if we look at the proper (flyable) JHB repaints we have a different
list. Missing from the above list are:
Falcon 50
Citation
Beech 1900
B757
A300
A340
Dash 8

Most of these already have ATOC designs which could be converted - although
the Falcon 50 would have to become a Falcon 2000.

Before we embark on a spree of repaints the real question is whether they
are all necessary or not. Some would be good to have - the Dash 8 being a
perfect example - but what about the A300? The next question is whether
there are other aircraft not listed above that pilots regularly fly? I don't
mean one pilot here as it would be pointless to design an aircraft that
never gets selected in the flight plan box by pilots.

I guess the real question is what aircraft would you have liked to select in
the flight plan list and not found. Forget the Tiger Moth but I'd like to
know if a sensible list can be drawn up.

http://fsaviation.net