[jhb_airlines] Re: PC Problem

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:35:59 -0000

Open the Device Manager and go down to the USB Controllers tab. Expand =
this
and you should have a list for Generic USB hubs and USB Root Hubs.

Right click on the Root Hub(s) and select Properties. Open the Power tab =
and
it should say at the top what the power output per port is for the =
device.
For my current hubs I've got 500mA per port whereas the earlier 4 port
Belkin hub only had something like 750mA total across the 4 ports. You
should also see a list of attached devices and the power required for =
each.

Open up your Generic USB Hub and you should see a similar list. In the =
Power
tab here it should tell you if the hub is powered or not, total power
available per port and a list of the devices plugged in (and their =
load).
Most of mine seem to be 32mA, some 50mA and a couple (GF-MCP and GF-45) =
are
100mA. The device listing may be a bit vague with "HID Compliant Device"
being shown but you can double click each to get the name of the actual
device.=20

The biggest drain for me is the ADSL modem - it draws a full 500mA and =
it
was not happy plugged into a USB hub. It is plugged directly into the
computer leaving the other USB socket for the first 7 port hub and the
second 7 port hub is daisy chained to it. The bad news is that some =
other
devices also baulk at being plugged into hubs (the USB Bluetooth dongle =
is
one) and I'll have to wait until I get the new mobo installed before I =
can
use this.

My last headache with the existing mobo is that it isn't USB2. I got =
caught
out there as I thought it was hi speed USB capable but it turns out not =
be so. I only found out when I plugged the Belkin hubs in and they said =
that
they were switching to USB1 to be compatible with the output from the
computer. I look forward to full USB2 capability after the rebuild.