[jhb_airlines] Re: Overlooked

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:54:17 -0000

The problem with night lighting is that it assumes every road is lit at
night and so the ground can become too cluttered with light. It's no problem
in towns but out in the country where lighting is quite restricted it looks
a bit overkill.

With the autogen work for the UK Shep introduced night lighting as part of
the VFR Add-ons project. The nice thing about this was the ability to define
just those roads that are lit in real life. A quick test of the IoM showed
great promise.

The light data is embedded in the AGN files using Annnotator or AgenT. Some
of you may already have such night lighting on your system if you have
grabbed any Autogen files from VFRAdd-Ons. It won't show though because the
trigger is the UK specific commands buried in the default.XML file in the
Autogen folder.

Having said that anyone who installed the Isle of Wight demo will have got
the upgraded default.XML file and (assuming it had the night sections
included) you should now see night autogen for other parts of the UK where
this has been designed. That is assuming you have the appropriate AGN files.

I can't remember whether I had added the night lighting to my uploaded IoM
files. In truth it wasn't complete as I only covered the south of the island
and some roads in Douglas. I was going to carry on with the work but my
source data dried up - a guy at the DoT who had actual maps of the island
street lighting.