[jhb_airlines] Re: Ouch

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:18:00 +0000

Frank!

Having gone through this no fewer than 3 times in the past 7 days (why I haven't been online!) I can strongly recommend Knoppix Linux used on a "live" bootable CD to copy all your needed files from the broken HD to the other one or a USB stick etc. It'll even burn them to disk for you too.

It might be worth you looking at your HDD makers website, some of them have a special jumper setting that does an instant erase. My barracuda HDD did, just re-arrange the plastic jumper plug on the back, put it in the machine, turn power on and hey presto drive erased, led to a very speedy (39 minute - I timed it) Windows XP install with a full NTFS partition.

Best of luck to you!

Alex

franklyn fisher wrote:
Further to my email timed 19:40
WinXP has bowed out.
The recovery console, would not work.
Now looking at a very sluggish full format of the C: drive.
It is going to be a very loong weekend, with no chance of getting up in the air before Tuesday, maybe.
Luckily All my data and FS is on the drive 2.
Good job I have 2 machines to keep me in touch.
I was planning to do a reformat some time soon, but not right now.