[jhb_airlines] Re: Online flight/IVAO/Stuff

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:57:33 +0100

I don't think this would work Peter.

Sending full aircraft downloads defeats the intention of IVAO to keep
datastreams as small as possible.

If you use a library system only an aircraft title needs sending in the
datastream. That's a 10 digit code whereas most library aircraft folders
hold just over 1Mb or model and textures files.

If you flew into an airport with a lot of activity your system might find it
has to load a bunch of aircraft files at it hits the nominated trigger
distance. I don't think it could download and install six or seven aircraft
without some lag being generated.

Library files on your PC are much faster and that is why all three systems
went for this idea. PCI banged a huge amount on FS and IVAO does too. VATSIM
is slightly different because it hides all the aircraft in a single VUK
folder - there are still a lot of aircraft in this. The difference is that
VATSIM uses absolutely minimal file sets with the MDL file being only 150k
and a single 171K texture (512 x 512) for all aircraft. These Ai aircraft
must look very basic.