[jhb_airlines] Re: Old PC Blues

  • From: Paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:29:59 +0100

Gerry Winskill wrote:
I've almost switched from the old Net PC to this new one. Just got to get the network working, then reload some of the old software.

Meanwhile I'm curious about the continued decline of the old one, vitrually unuseable this morning.

It used to be difficult to start, sometimes needing several attempts, but then quite stable. Now it starts OK but sometimes the mouse will freeze and, regularly, it will trip mid task and re boot. Rather than just bin it, I'd like to resurrect it as an emergency standby.

Any diagnoses from the guri out there?

Gerry Winskill

Have you move the machine recently?

The change of symptoms from a slow boot up then stability (possible drive giving up) to sudden lock-ups (possible processing issue) suggests to me the real culprit could be the power supply.

If the symptoms have changed since the machines been moved it suggests a physical problem but then again it could be any number of things: plug-in cards/memory not seated properly, hard drive locking up, power supply uneven (through simple mechanical wear and tear of cooling fan) processor fan failing (should be obvious but it can be missed) etc

I'd pull the power Supply out and get it tested, most reputable PC shops can do this, if that's not the fault then it could be just about anything, it'd be a case of swapping things out until you isolate the cause.