[jhb_airlines] Re: Offbeat question

  • From: Alastair <algy.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:20:24 +0100

I was toying with the idea as well, as I have a stack of VHS tapes, just waiting to be archived.

Obviously there are 2 roads to go down:- The PC capture/edit/render etc. etc. then burn to DVD.

The second is to buy a stand-alone DVD recorder (preferably one with hard drive built in).

At the moment I am leaning towards the latter option.

An advantage of the recorder version is that you can use it as a regular player as well as a recorder (obviously), and consign the VHS recorder to the bin.

One recorder that springs to mind is the Pioneer DVR 433H (around £250 if you shop around). An advantage of this recorder is that it will burn Dual Layer DVD's, should the cost of blanks decrease.

So, at the moment I am saving up my pennies for the Pioneer, and it will probably become a winter project. It could be a bit cheaper in a couple of months time. <G>

Alastair

Bones wrote:
Has anyone had VHS tapes converted to DVD?

I've got a couple I'd like preserving but that's not enough to justify
buying a 300 quid recorder. I will probably hunt around to see who offers
these services but I'd like to know if anyone has an idea of the more
reputable firms..

bones

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net