[jhb_airlines] Re: Off Topic

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:02:50 +0100

I take that back. With the firewalls off I then went to printer on the new PC's Control Panel and, again, told it to share. Now I can access the printer and also the other PC.

Next question. To make this safe as well, which programme do I need to enter as an Exception, in the Firewalls?

Thanks for the quick progress.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

I've just switched off both PC's firewalls but get a message, from the new one, "The RPC Server is unavailable".

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 28/10/2006 09:52:58 GMT Daylight Time, gwinsk@xxxxxxx writes:

I don't know whether it's cause and effect but I can't now access the
printer from the new machine. Nor can I access either PC from the
other.
One other weird effect is that during the course of Wednesday
night's
event, I got several requests to reconnect popping up on the old
machine. Odd, since it was still running both Thunderbird and
Servinfo.
Narrowing it down a bit, if I then tried to access Yahoo it did so
immediately but when I tried to access the GoFlight site I could
only do
it if I did press the reconnect button.

    This network lark has opened up a whole new area. Like a Black
    Hole is
    an "area".

Gerry,
I got something similar recently, I found somehow my XP Firewall which had been off for ages (since the router arrived) suddenly came on again and started blocking network traffic. I've now told it that its ok to allow access from the internal network, this cured the problem, but now every time I switch on I get a warning message, which is a pain.
Frank T.