[jhb_airlines] Off Topic

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:53:12 +0100

One for the network gurus. Thinks, is a trawlerman a network guru?

I digress.

In the beginning there was my network. In its simplest form the old PC, to which the printer was connected and onto which the Netgear software was loaded. The new Flightsim PC was hooked into this via the router and I could access the Net from either.

Having sought advice from FTDS I got the new PC to access the printer via the network. I also managed to move a couple of items around, via the two Shared Documents folders. On each machine I also opted for all drives to be shared.

Next significant point was finding that in the PilotClub sessions, running on the new machine, I couldn't hear incoming traffic, though I could be heard by others. More advice got me through that one, by opening Port 15000, whatever that means.

I don't know whether it's cause and effect but I can't now access the printer from the new machine. Nor can I access either PC from the other. One other weird effect is that during the course of Wednesday night's event, I got several requests to reconnect popping up on the old machine. Odd, since it was still running both Thunderbird and Servinfo. Narrowing it down a bit, if I then tried to access Yahoo it did so immediately but when I tried to access the GoFlight site I could only do it if I did press the reconnect button.

This network lark has opened up a whole new area. Like a Black Hole is an "area".