[jhb_airlines] Re: Oddbits

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:31:36 +0100

The Chipmunk didn't have a sparkling performance in the cruise. It had a
Gipsy Major pushing out 145hp (about the same as a PA28 or C172) but it
was a heavy aircraft compared with the other two. It was about 1500lb
empty and had a MAUW of just 2100lb (600lb capacity for fuel and crew).
The PA28 and C172 could get up to 800/1000lb disposable load.

Just looking through the official flip cards for the Chippie right now -
and some of the figures are coming back to me.

VNE 173kts. Flaps 15 at 93kts and flaps 30 at 71kts. Rotate at 45kts,
climb at 70kts. Stall 47kts flaps up and 43kts flaps down.
Aerobatics: Roll - 113kts. Loop - 122kts. Half roll of top of loop -
130kts.
Cruise figure quoted at 2100rpm is 100kts but I recall it didn't quite
get that high. I recall using 2050rpm for a 95kt cruise - but you know
what memory is like.
Descent at 70kts. Approach speed 60kts flaps down or 55kts (short field)
reducing to 50kts over the threshold.

I'll have a word with Andy about FPI procedures. I know he is concerned
about misuse of the system but has not considered the possible motives
of users. Your thinking is reasonable but, in his eyes, he might be
seeing it as a means of racking up hours with FPI with no associated
activity. If you had actually been flying about a bit he probably would
not have noticed. The other point he made is that if they want to drop a
server for tweaking and he can't get in touch with someone logged in
then it can get frustrating. I suppose the best thing is just make sure
you are listening out during the period you are online.