[jhb_airlines] Re: Oddbits

  • From: gwinsk@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:06:29 +0100

I'm another offender.
 I fear Andy may be shooting himself in the foot, with this one.
I have only stayed on-line but inactive, during the daytime, for about three
hours, in the
hope that others might see me and join in. This has worked on at least one
occasion.
The alternative, of checking Infoserve, to see if any of our group are about,
is a bit
chicken and egg. My staying on line was to try to encourage UK use. Issuing
"warnings"
is a bit Vatsimish and hardly likely to encourage users. In my own case, Oon
the
occasion that Mike had told me that Andy was upset by my inadverTant and silent
presence, I was reluctant to join in again, apart from your own sessions. At
the moment,
I've gone the other way and tend to log on for most of my flying. Most of the
time there's
no-one in UK airspace. During the day, I've not seen Andy's name in the
controllers'
slot, so perhaps he won't have spotted me, in passive mode, anyway.
I think there's a balance to be struck, between a proprietorial approach and
one that will
be welcoming, particularly to novices. Which moves the focus back to your own,
greatly
enjoyed, sessions.

I downloaded the Chipmunk upgrade, last night, and will try it, shortly. I
agree with your
JHB comments. It's a great little aircraft but I'm sure my friend and erstwhile
Chipmunk
syndicate member used to cruise at a bit more than 90 kias. Or is that my
imitation
Spitfire view taking over? He was such a good pilot it was hard to identify the
aircraft
with the usual observations on its slightly tetchy nature.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx