[jhb_airlines] Re: OT; Printers

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:50:21 +0100

Frank,
I'm sure you are right but sending off a large batch, for printing, inescapably forces you to face the cost of the hobby! I tend to buy a box of paper when I happen to be in the stationary shop. When next I print out a batch the cost of the box has drifted from my memory, so it's easier to assume almost a zero cost for paper.
I speak as one who, in my sailing days, used to write cheque counterfoils for chandlery and moorings in Morse, to make it more difficult for reallity to interfere with day-to-day matters.
Similarly, many of the artifacts I enjoy, on a daily basis, are in reallity no more than a maturing man's toys; totally unjustifiable in terms of the serious cash they consume. Under that heading I'd have to include my bikes, MX5, photgraphic kit and everything associated with flightsim. I'm on dangerous ground here but, fortunately, SWMBO is a computer Luddite, so I'm fairly safe. Famous last words.

Gerry Winskill

franklyn fisher wrote:

Gerry
A photo printer is great for printing out the odd photo, especially any special ones (blown up, cropped or generally tyedid up).

I assume that you referring to a dedicated photo printer, rather than an A4 model.

But for print runs, you cannot beat the price and quality of a digital photo lab.
You can easily have runs of 100 for less than £20, abeit 6*4's, but labs now have cottoned on to the fact that digital photos have a different format, and am now printing to that. Boots used to crop the top and bottom ugh.

Also online photo labs are great, just upload your prints, and a few days later they come back in the post, no fuss no hassle, they will also do any specials for you.

I have an Epson Stylus A4 Photo printer wilh roll print facility and a smart card input, stopped using it as it was too expensive for runs of plus 10, fine for 8*10's blowups, collages and one off specials. Only use online labs now for those 50+ photos of the Grandchildren.