[jhb_airlines] Re: OT - Boring - Train Sets

  • From: Andrew Berry <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:31:10 +0000

Mines a 00 gauge as well - only been recently I've got back into my trains (didn't have any room for them before) and I bought this from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3695663.htm I know perhaps not quite what you were thinking of train wise, but for initial expenditure you get so much track (2 seperate loops and a siding) - although to use both loops properly you do need a second power controller (perhaps look at Hornby Digital stuff that's breaking out now?)

Andy

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Alex,
I started down this parallel path, a few years ago. I'm no expert but Gordon Luck, on the UKScenery list, probably is.
My setup, which I haven't touched for years, is 00 gauge.
My feeling is that the most crucial first step is to decide wher you can construct a layout and how big, and complicated, you can afford tthe room to make it. Mine is in a loft above the garage. It goes around 4 walls an onto a peninsular stage. apart from one wall, where it goes along a six inch wide ledge, the platform widths are about three feet. It's about 4 ft off the floor. If you have access to that sort of space then you can construct a siding etc. A good starting point is to grab a few copies of the magazines on the subject. If you're looking for inexpensive prezzie suggestions, then The Model Railway Manual, by Freezer is a useful source of ideas.

Once I'd decided where I could construct it then I spent many happy hours, surrounded by graph paper, working out possible layouts. It's a stage where initial ideas are best not acted upon, tomorrow always brings a better one. At that stage it costs now't, either.

My neglected setup is steam but the layout itself can accomodate either that or diesel, or electric.

Careful, it's addictive!

Gerry Winskill

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:

Know I know there are a few in here so no hiding.

I fancy being really boring and buying a small train set to while away the hours when I'm not sat in front of a flipping PC screen (that'll be about 2 a week then ;) ) I want something British, nothing old (steam trains don't interest me) probably Diesel Electric (trains not U-Boats) 60's/70's/80's British rail stuff (the blue 'uns!)

As you may tell I know nothing about this particular "hobby" so I was wondering if we had any boring old men on here who wouldn't mind helping out with where to get started, what gauge...where do I get me bits?! how much I'd expect to spend on an initial set....can you crash them? and other important questions.

Cheers <G>

Alex