[jhb_airlines] OT: Amazon access problems

  • From: "Mike Brook" <mike.brook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ukscenery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:16:27 +0100

In case anyone is interested, I've solved my Amazon access problems that
I reported on the UKScenery list recently.  A month or so ago I
succumbed to a virus infection which came as an attachment to a
seemingly innocent e-mail from FPI (I mentioned this on the JHB list).
I cleaned the virus from my system and all seemed to be well.

To cut a long story short, the virus was of the "W32.Mytob.??@mm"
variety and I discovered today that it had corrupted my
"%Windir%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file.  Many web addresses
(including Amazon, eBay and PayPal) had been added into this file by the
infection which effectively blocked me from accessing those sites ever
since.

After a lot of Googling for solutions, I've now fixed the problem...
Beware!

MikeB