[jhb_airlines] Re: Next Problem

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:28:06 +0100

Mr.W (shorthand) )

Such things are hilarious are they not. I once had problem with a ADSL modem. Rang their tech support and the only advice they could give me was to go to their website and download the new firmware.... I told them the modem didn't work. The very foreign reply was

"Yes sir, not now it doesn't, but if you download the new firmware from our website it will work"
"How am I supposed to get the firmware?"
"Our website Sir"
"But my modem is broken, I can't get on the internet"
"You will be able to with the new firmware sir"
"But my modem is broken, I can not get to your website to download the firmware"
Then sir, I am afraid we can not help you"

I mean really...how do they expect a modem tech support line to solve issues!?

tsk...ah well!

Alex

Mr Winskill wrote:
Alex,
Thanks for the nudge. I was wrong about the manual; well, partly.
Having removed the HD I looked more closely at the label on the back. If the owner of a good quality magnifying glass it's possible to see that the purchaser is referred to the Seagate Support website, for instructions. Now, that's where I'm fortunate in having a second machine, connected to the web, so able to get me to a set of decent instructiohns. Mow partitioned and formatting.

Reminds me of a Mesh computer that came without a manual. When I phoned to ask where it was I was told that most people, which meant Mesh, now prefer the Manual to be on the PC. I asked how I could access it, to troubleshoot, if the PC wouldn't start. The silence that followed was definitely pregnant. The idiot at the other end said they hadn't thought of that..........

Gerry Winskill  (Mr).

Alex - Reheat.org <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

Mr Winskill,

It could be that it isn't formatted, or windows needs to be told it is
a permanent drive.

I'd be worried it doesn't come with a manual as you would normally need
to set the mobo jumpers.

There is a very good tut here on installing IDE drives:
http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/43/

Hope that helps a little.

Alex

Mr Winskill wrote:

  SWMBO having just returned from Douglas, with a new 80Gb hard drive, I'm trying to get it going. Like much equipment, these days, the nearest thing to documentation is a "made in Taiwan" sticker.
I've plugged it in, using the vacant IDE and power plugs from the earlier setup. When re booted, several times, it doesn't appear uder My Computer.
Am I missing something obvious?

Gerry Winskill

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net