[jhb_airlines] Re: New machine

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:08:20 +0100

Vista has a nasty little trick up its sleeve which may be catching you out.

When you install any program into the default Program Files folder it seems
to install normally. By that I mean that if you look in Explorer you will
see all the files - exe's, ini's, data, scenery etc.

What it doesn't tell you is that Vista separates out the executable files
(files you can't change) from the configuration files (files you can
change). Configuration files are mostly CFG, INI and data files that get
written to. Vista copies these files to its Virtual Store and when you run a
program it is the Virtual Store files that get loaded - and saved if you
make any changes. The original files never get used at all so if you amend
them you will find it makes no change to the program.

In normal use this isn't a problem because the files are changed when you
run the program - Vista knows which files to amend. The problem comes when
you wish to edit/replace any INI or CFG files directly - here you HAVE to go
to the files in the Virtual Store.

It's a pain finding the Virtual Store because it is rather buried away -
obviously to stop people tampering. If you setup is normal you should find
it at:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft\Flight
Simulator

Xxxx should be your login account name.

Once you get to the Virtual Store and look in Program Files you should see a
mirror of all the folders in your normal Program Files folder. Look further
and you will see the folders for each program only contain files that get
changed as you use the program. Here you'll find the INI files for IVAO,
saved settings for games, configuration files for most of your software. It
is always the Virtual Store you need to go to if you want to edit any config
files directly.

I must be answering two or three emails each day on Vista's Virtual Store
and I hate it.

http://woodair.net