[jhb_airlines] Re: New hard drive for scenery files only

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 19:22:41 +0000

Hi Alastair,

If I understand the bit about point 2, I'm using an all in one version of the Horizon scenery. Unlike the original VFR GM, I don't think you will find any file duplication. I just have

Hard Drive    G:

Folder VERSION 2 AIO

Folders     1.2M PHOTO     SCENERY

            2.4M NIGHT     SCENERY

            2.4M PHOTO     SCENERY       TEXTURE

            4.8M MESH      SCENERY

So, the setup is quite straightforward. When you get round to adding AG, then it all goes into that single TEXTURE folder. That's when file dates become a possible cause for confusion. For what it's worth, my advice would be to start by adding only FSX specific AutoGen. There's a feeling that mixing FS9 AG with it can slow down the system. I eventually added it but only after doing a backup of the FSX only TEXTURE folder.

Hope that sounds reasonably logical.

Gerry Winskill

Alastair McIntyre wrote:
Thanks, Gerry

How about point 2. re copying over the 3 Horizon VFR folders into 1 large folder/subfolders, and order of copying-over files?

Thanks again.

Al

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Alastair,

The best results are apparently obtained by giving the Horizon photoscenery sole access to its own HD. Also giving that drive regular defrags.

It's also said that FSX should not be on the same drive as the OS.

That's what I've now done with my system and it certainly seems to have improved things.

Ideally it's an advantage to have all the addon scenery files on yet another hard drive; I don't think the room is big enough for the last one!

Gerry Winskill

Alastair McIntyre wrote:
Folks

I am in the process of installing a 3rd hard drive (500G), purely to be used for FS9 and FSX scenery files, to speed up access etc.

A couple of questions for the 'in house' gurus.

1. In addition to the Horizon scenery, is it advantageous to copy over the default scenery files, and point FS9 and FSX in their direction?

2. The horizon scenery scenery is currently residing on the main FS drive in 3+ folders, is there any mileage in copying over these folders into one folder on the new drive, and is their any particular order in which the files should be copied over?

Many thanks

Alastair