[jhb_airlines] New PC Mark II

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:53 +0100 (BST)

Gerry's new PC problems got me going, thinking it was time I replaced my very
unreliable No. 2 PC. I've just been
offered this unit

http://tinyurl.com/kfxn5

at a silly price.

Question to the team is - is this going to be man enough to run FSX for about a
year or maybe two until No.1 machine
comes round for upgrade/re[placement?  My plan is to play with FSX, but keep
FS9 for serious simming for a while. making
a gradual transition.  the graphics card APPEARS to be PCI Express and able to
swap memory with the main memory system
up to 256Mb, or have I read it wrong? (Bearing in mind the Flightsim.com
articles by Andrew Herd about graphics load).

For those on tight budgets, or, as the Scots say "near" with their cash, this
guy has some very good bargains rom time
to time.  OK they are "off the shelf" units, not bespoke, but they are only
days old when he gets them, and he sells 'em
at about half price. I bought my No. 1 PC from him, an HP1180 with 2 160Gb HDs,
one removeable, and Windows XP Media
Centre installed at a similar half price deal, and it has been rock solid.
(Dunno where he gets ';em from - bankrupt
stock?)
I can post a contact if anyone is interested - not wanting to advertise, you
understand - and I'm not on commission by
the way <g>