[jhb_airlines] Re: New PC

  • From: "F FISHER" <ffisher991@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:16:43 +0100

Gerry

Just looked in my disk management.

I have 'change drive letters and paths, not drive letters and partitions.

There is no option to resize or create a partition, which is what you need to do, both actually.

For that you will need a third party disk manager.

Used to do it using Fdisk, but you need a Fat32 drive not NTFS. Not that it will work on SATA drives as far as I know.

Frank F
--- Original Message ----- From: "Gerry Winskill" <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
*From:* Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
*To:* "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Date:* Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:38:21 +0100

The new PC, replacement for this one, arrived at lunch time.
I started with a clanger, by squashing it into the remaining space
next to the other two. Then, when I came to boot up, needed the 25
digit Windows XP code.....which, naturally, was stuck to the back
of the machine. So, everything disconnected and machine pulled, so
I could read the code, etc, etc.

Anyway, with it finally running, I decided to partition the two
SATA drives, before copying material from this one, that I'd
already copied to my external LaCie SATA drive.
Only, I can't. When I opt for Manage, then Disk Management, it
tells me I'm not authorised to access it.

I knew this wasn't going to be painless. Fortunately it's only a
couple of minutes work to reinstate the wiring to this, old,
workhorse, so that I can send out a Mayday!

01/07/2008 19:23