[jhb_airlines] Re: New Defragger

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:55:20 +0100

I decided to have a quick look at Defrag Express, although I have been a faithful user of Perfect Disk for some time.

My FSX installation is spread across two drives (FSX itself on one, VFR scenery on another), with Win XP on a third. All three drives were defragmented using Perfect Disk only a few days ago. When I ran Defrag Express over the Win XP drive it registered >95% optimisation and then spent 1' 40" bringing that up to 100%. The FSX drive registered all blue but only 50% optimised; a defrag took just under 8 minutes and remained all blue and 50% optimised. The VFR scenery drive was also all blue, just under 100%; defrag took 17 seconds. Firing up FSX, I saw no difference in load time. I then re-ran Perfect Disk on the Win XP and FSX drives and found that it now saw the operating system drive as having some fragmentation. I would be interested to know how the two defrag programs differ in their file placement algorithms.

Net result: I'll stick with Perfect Disk. I'm happy with it, and it has numerous excellent testimonials. Disktrix do not publish any testimonials.

Mike L

Frank Turley wrote:
Overnight last night I ran the XP defragger, it made a much better job of it.

Frank T.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Turley" <frank.turley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>