[jhb_airlines] Networks and Broadband

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 05:12:41 EDT

Hi All,

I am going through a lot of hassle with my internet connection at the
moment, so I thought I would pass on some words of warning to those thinking of

developing their systems.

I have had Broadband from AOL since it became available last October and it
has been working perfectly until the last couple of months or so. From October
 until this spring I connected via a BT Voyager 100 modem (supplied FOC by
AOL),  then I switched to a router (SpeedTouch 545 as recommended by AOL). The
advantage of the router is that I can access the internet from any machine on
my  network (e.g. I can connect to FPI on one machine and have the Servinfo
display  on another), and my son, using a wireless link, can have internet
access from  his bedroom at the other end of the house.

Recently we have seen a lot of down time on our line, and the service has
gradually deteriorated. Frequent calls to the AOL help line have been
fruitless,
 they have blamed the wiring in the house, which was done by BT, I called in
BT  and they claim the wiring is ok. I've been just caught in the middle. I
should  say that getting help from the AOL telephone support is like pulling
teeth, the  process is cluttered with recorded messages, and their help
operators
appear to  work from scripts, rather than working through a logical trouble
shooting  process. This is probably ok for most of their calls, but no good for
my  troubles.

This weekend I was so frustrated that I re-installed the BT Voyager Modem,
and this is working just fine. I have now concluded that the Broadband signal
level is such that it can be "seen" by the Voyager, but it can't be "seen" by
the SpeedTouch 545. Note this happens on an intermittent basis, but the line
can  be down as seen by the router for days at a time. I have now  got in
touch with the SpeedTouch web site, giving them my symptoms. I'm hoping  they
may
have a solution. Its taken 2 - 3 months to get this far, and I've  effectively
identified the problem by myself. This is after weeks of frustration  with
the AOL help system.

Rant mode off.

Now I've got a solid connection back I can catch up on my assignment.

Frank T.