[jhb_airlines] Re: Networks

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:37:27 +0100

Gerry..

I see your setup now, I myself am a bit of a laptop fiend, got FS on the only desktop in the house. Everything else off laptops, got one for flight planning and communications, the other used as a separate screen and another one for ServInfo, all tied up using MaxiVista so I can move stuff from one screen to another.

Great fun but like you...boy does it get hot in here... and thats excluding the file server which is THE nosiest thing ever but I cant afford water cooling right now!

Alex

Mr Winskill wrote:
Alex,
It's not excessive, just two computers, if you ignore the laptop. It's just that one PC needs five monitors; three for the view, one for the instrument panel and one for FSNav. I'd considered a KVM switch but that would only have reduced the number by one, back to five. I'd also lose the abillity to run ServInfo on a separate machine, to minimise the load on the FS9 machine. I'll ignore the laptop and put it away. A bit churlish, since it's kept me in touch with this list, whilst eveything else was falling apart.
 I think I'm showing great restraint. I haven't even thought about buying one of those chair shaped vibrators, not to mention one of those pensioned off Canberras.
BTW; whatever happened about the ex Squiresgate Vulcan?

Gerry Winskill

Alex - Reheat.org <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote :

Gerry..

You really going to run all those PC's at once mate?! couldn't you do
with a few less monitors and use a KVM switch to change it between the
active machines?

Alex

Mr Winskill wrote:

  I must have been mad, listening to the enthusiasm for networks, displayed on this list. The problems aren't, I'm now finding, exclusively technical. No-one mentioned the physical side of it. The bl...y machine hasn't arrived yet and, already, I'm a physical wreck.

 When first I fell into the trap I was thinking of the technical benefits from having just FS9 running, on one machine. Then it dawned I'd have to have a monitor, mouse and keyboard for each of the desktop machines. SWMBO thought she was miss hearing me. "Does that mean you'll have six monitors?". When put that way it does seem slightly over the top!

 Early on I'd discounted the idea of moving to a bigger house, so a bit of imagination was called for, in working out how I could get another setup into a room that isn't really big enough for the one that's already there. The only place the PC can sit is in the knee well of my desk. But that already has a waste paper basket and a SubWoofer! I'll just have to stop wasting paper. Hope no-one thinks I've turned green.

 The sixth monitor can live on the desk top. As well as email and other mundane jobs, it'll be displaying Servinfo during MP sessions. In winter I won't need any heat on. In summer.....I don't think I'll look that far ahead.

 At that point it struck me I'll need at least three additional power points, so I had to nip out, to buy a couple of sixpack extension blocks. Since I'm already taking about 5 MegaWatts from the plug in this room, I waited 'til SWMBO had nipped out to the shops, then drilled a hole through the wall in my room, then through the sidewall of the fitted wardrobe on her side. It's so full of clothes that she'll never notice. I've often wondered why the house was built with a power plug in the wardrobe. Perhaps the original owner was into FS5?

 SWMBO's off to Madrid for a few days, to see number two daughter. Perhaps I could put one monitor in her wardrobe, just to reduce the wiring.

 I'll give up, for today; it's in danger of taking over.

Gerry Winskill

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net