[jhb_airlines] Netherlands

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 04:31:22 +0100

I don't know if it is me or not but I took a trip over to Holland today when
testing an aircraft. The photo scenery looked very good indeed (at first)
but then I saw something odd. Town edges were a bit too straight lined and
woods and other objects to well defined.

A closer look at Rotterdam revealed that the city was wrapped in repetitive
bitmaps and the sharp city edges chopped this off mid street or even mid
house. The truth slowly dawned that all I am looking at is very well made
landclass scenery, not photo mapping like in the UK. I eventually ran across
a true photo texture just north of EHRD but it was poor quality and I had to
almost on top of it before it would show. The edge of this photo texture
didn't blend into the surrounding landclass at all well.

The landclass is extremely well made and it is very detailed - probably the
best I have seen. However, although good it does have a slightly artificial
air to it and you feel you are looking at a synthetic landscape - I think
it's the sharp edges for cities, coastlines and woods that create this
impression. True that the landclass is photo textured BUT it isn't true
photo mapping as has been done in the UK.

I've taken a screenshot of the scenery at
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/04fs/download/JHB%20PMDG737.zip . The
photo texture is to the left of the picture (under that aircraft nose) and
the landclass starts abeam the rear of the engine pod.

For the huge number of bitmaps loaded I would have thought more areas would
have been photo textured. However, if that had been the case it would have
been pointless to have created such detailed landclass.

Anyone else find the same of is my setup?

bones

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net