[jhb_airlines] Re: Multicore

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:20:26 +0100

Gerry,

If leaving one core for the other stuff, have you specified cores 1, 2 and 3
for use by FSX?  To me this would seem the obvious as most programmes would
default to using the 0 core and you are moving FSX away from sharing the
core.  You could use the "affinity=0111" line in fsx.cfg, but there's a way
of associating almost any programme to use a specific core:

Start the programme then use 'Ctrl Alt Delete' and run the 'Task Manager'.
Click on the 'Processes' tab find 'fsx.exe' and right-click on it choose
'Set Affinity' from the menu and use the tick boxes to assign the cores you
want to use.  Note: you could use the same method to change the priority by
selecting 'Set Priority' instead.

WARNING:  Playing with these settings could easily cause your machine to
lock up.  If you assign a process to a core and it calls another, you could
get into trouble.  I'm confident it's safe to move the cores of FSX but
that's only because Aces went out of their way to design in the multi-core
support.  For other programmes, you might want to change the core it uses
but I would avoid using multi-core unless you are sure it can support it.