[jhb_airlines] More on the Horizon

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:02:27 +0000

I've just done a flight, through Horizon Vol 2, from Chirk to Rosemarket.
Definition is much better than was available for VFR GM, however the things that have been glossed over are frustrating. Accepting that our group did a better job of Beta testing, all that did was highlight the areas where Mally had to do still more work. And he did, so that I've spotted very few questionable areas, after hundreds of hours flying over his scenery. Where FS9 detracted from his scenery he usually found a way of neutralising the effect.

This hasn't, to date, happened with the Horizon scenery. Today's flight saw me doing an irresistable tour of the Milford Haven area, before landingat Rosemarket. That was unavoidable, since we lived there and sailed the Haven and the Cleddau for a number of years; almost opposite to the spot where Paul Michaels lives (?). The haven and Cleddau, at first glance, seem very realistic, with the not untypical seawater glinting in the sun. Pity about the FSX induced rocky reefs that block the entrances to all of its tributaries. Pity that, as I fly over places where we used to anchor, and where I know many yachts are still moored, all signs of them have been obscured by the seawater texture. Pity about the lines just below the water, probably caused by MS shoreline inaccuracies. And it's frustrating because Mally, before his own scenery was launched, designed out all similar problems before the scenery was released.

All frustrating, even annoying, but I'd still reccommend any FSX users to buy the scenery. It's still possible to derive tremendous pleasure from it, even in its unpatched state. The errors are fairly localised and leave a lot of breathtaking views to be enjoyed.