[jhb_airlines] Re: More Poltergeeses

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 17:05:29 +0100

Frank,
Curiouser than that, since it's not trying to boot Active Sky but install it! Presumably it's finding the original install .exe and triggering off that. Before penning the Email I'd just finished backing up my existing drives, apart from Windows etc, onto the newly delivered LaCie USB2 External Drive. Very impressive it is too. Whilst I was at it I also backed up from my LapTop.

The basic problem lies in the hardware. It was a big relief to get it to boot at all, so that I could return to Email and web shopping.
It's much more difficult to get quotes etc than I'd expected. Bearing in mind that suppliers are complaining they are being hit by an excessive number of suppliers, you'd think they would be keen to answer requests for clarification of specs, quotes etc. Not so. So far I've had only two automated replies, promising replies....

Gerry Winskill

franklyn fisher wrote:

Gerry

I hardly think that Activesky can be kicked into life, other than the program exe file.

You have a seriously corrupted registeration file by the sound of it.

I am sorry to say, that my gut feeling, is to bite the bullet and reformat your drive and start again. this time, after getting the system files loaded, backup! this will save going through the full install routine again.

Restore will be a waste of time, as it will not restore everything that has been deleted.

You could try booting with a live Linux disk, this will get you into your drive, without having any drivers loaded, and maybe remove all the offending programs, but the quickest way is to say s***t, and start again.

If you have already gone down this route.

Then the probibility is a hardware fault, currupting the system as you boot up.

Other than that, can be of no further help.