[jhb_airlines] More AG Work

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:11:24 +0100

Another 4 strips planted, this time in Wiltshire. I'll wrap them up later.

The last of today's batch was Wing Farm and flying the test circuits, I realise what a jammy lot we are, to have access to this Horizon photoscenery. Most countries just don't have photo coverage like this. Places like Holland do but the local topography really stifles its potential.

A few trees planted around Wing, well OK a couple of small forests, and FSX objects plonked on appropriate spots, and the place is transformed. I could sit on the ground there, just admiring the view. Distracted occasionally by the hot air baloon, off to one side.

In the circuit the countryside is superb, with roads, lanes etc all crystal clear and sharp. It's so good that I now hardly ever fly other than VFR, in one of two aircraft. If I add up the hours I've logged, in real life it would only have been possible if SWMBO had been better at picking Lottery tickets! Yesterday I had a query re an FSX UK ANO problem, from a chap at Sherburn Aero Club. With the Horizon scenery available, he apparently did a demo for his fellow members. He said they were so impressed with the GenX that they now have a Sherburn Aero Club, FS Group. That'll reduce their costs a bit!

BTW, the Net certainly increases opportunities to re live the past. Last week, on a whim, I did a search for Ernest Gann books. Yesterday my first purchases arrived, and very cheap they were too. A trawl in the library failed to unearth any and the staff are too young to have heard of him. I was prompted to start looking by talking about the eras that EG covered, to my mate, the retired B747 driver. He was saying that after one of his early checks, whilst with the original Logan, the examiner told him that if he could tell him all the things he'd done wrong, he'd pass him. If he didn't know the mistakes he'd made, then he'd fail! It's hard to see that sort of approach surviving these days, though in those days he was doing far more flying and less knob turning; if you'll pardon the expression.

Off for another dose of low cost Biggles stuff.