[jhb_airlines] Re: Microsoft

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:13 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Although I am very sceptical about the huge volume of regulations and
paper needed to do simple tasks in todays world, I still normally
disagree with "it was better in my day" because it very rarely was.  In
this case too I lean towards the opposition.

First I've heard of it(the MPL), so this is a gut reaction - This may
turn out to work OK because the pilots do not learn skills which they
will never use. I was taught a huge amount of stuff in school and uni
which I have never used and would not have missed not learning.  We no
longer make fire by rubbing boy scouts together and we have to drop old
skills as new ones come along because there's isn't room for them all. If
and one would emphasis the "If", they get the balance right, I can't see
that it would be so very bad.

We had a flat battery on Alpha Victor a few months ago. We pondered for a
while then decided that hand swinging without having someone there who
had done it before was too dangerous. Fortunately we found someone, and
our QFI was able to do the deed without trouble.  That's once in 14 years
at least. That's why they no longer teach hand swinging as part of the
PPL syllabus I guess. Had we not found someone we would have simply
recharged the battery and flown next day.  Knowledge of the old skill was
useful but not vital.

When was the last time you mowed your lawn with a scythe?