[jhb_airlines] Re: Microsoft

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:36:11 -0000

I haven't used a scythe for 20 years and doubt I will again. A brilliant
tool for the job and, once mastered, very satisfying to use. Having said
that I don't know how to make flint knaps from a flint pebble, build a
barrel or a cartwheel or put up a dry stone wall.

Throughout the ages people have evolved skills for their present needs. I
can't drive a Mastodon over a cliff so my family can eat and I bet Health
and Safety would kick up a stink if I did. Our ancestors used to though - if
they hadn't I wouldn't be typing away on a little plastic keyboard. Physical
evolution is well covered by Darwin but social evolution is just as
fascinating - we develop increasing skills whilst leaving others behind.

People often regret the passing of hard earned skills but it often seems to
be those lost in living memory. There is more sympathy for cart wheel making
and Morris dancing than say for skills from the stone age - can you skin a
buffalo or make a window out of cow's guts. I know how to make a fire in
theory but it's a long time since I tried it.

Even today some skills erode. I can't remember the last time I got flour,
eggs and milk out to make a pie and I'll bet many of the younger generation
haven't got a packet of flour in the house. In my yoof two essential items
in any house were brown paper and string - and every kid had a bit in his
pocket for one reason or other. String disappeared though, or the use for it
did because I don't have any in the house - not even a modern day
equivalent.