[jhb_airlines] Matrox TripleHead 2Go

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, UK SCENERY GROUP <ukscenery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:22:39 +0100

Pawn the familly silver. Sell the wife's car. Do whatever it takes but set your sights on buying the TripleHead, plus an extra couple of monitors.

I'd seen the Flightsimcom review,bought it and installed it with my existing and disparate monitors in mockup, then flewn a few circuits. I was impressed and, having laid out the cash, relieved. It seemed logical to buy another couple of monitors; well, prices have plummetted, haven't they?

Today, with the three screens in line abreast, and with instrument panel and FSNav on the old fourth and fifth screens, I tried a couple of real flights.
The first was from Ronaldsway to Gothenberg, in the EMB 170. Definitely an improvement. One of the most significant changes is the amount of taxiway and apron that can be seen. All whilst just looking ahead. Lined up for takeoff and, for the first time in any version of FS, it looks like a real runway, with airfield buildings still in view. The runway looks real life width, too.

A couple of hours later and I've just completed a VFR Cessna 182RG flight, from Gloucestershire to Caernarfon. To say I was gobsmacked would be a gross understatement!
Can you remember your first reaction to flying over Snowdonia, with Mally's VFR GM and mesh in place? Add TripleHead and get ready to take your vertigo pills. The impact of the scenery, at 1730 on a September day, is breathtaking. Bits of road and river no longer disappear off the side of the screen. Now they stretch off into the distance. Because so much more of the ridges is in view the valleys seem deeper and far more realistic; hence the need for the vertigo pills.
Clouds stretch way out to either side. When a bit of turbulence causes roll oscillation you're far more aware of it, because you see the effect over a wider area.

Use the coolie hat button to take a look to the side and it's like looking through a picture window, there's so much of this dramatic scenery in sight. Sideways views are now relegated to the role of pure enjoyment. Forward view is wide enough to take in most of what you wish to see, when lining up for finals.

On the ground at Caenarfon and, having landed from the wrong direction, I have to wait for a couple of Cessnas and a Piper to land, then for another Cessna to line up for takeoff.. Again the view is more realistic, with so much more of the field in sight.

Sorry if it sounds like an advert but you'd have to be soul less to take the effects of this piece of kit for granted.